How do I remove a pedal from a bicycle? Practical recommendations
Pedals - a fairly simple design elementany bike. However, not every owner of a two-wheeled vehicle understands how to remove a pedal from a bicycle without a puller. We will try to understand this issue.
In what cases is it necessary to dismantle the pedals?
To remove this constructive element is necessary:
- if necessary, replacement and in case of damage;
- for lubrication;
- to carry out the repair of the connecting rods.
Before deciding how to remove the pedal from the bike, let's look at the device and the types of this functional part, as well as highlight the tools that may be required for work.
Pedals act as a component of an integrated system, which includes:
- The axis is a metal pin that fits into the connecting rod. It acts as the basis on which the remaining structural elements are located.
- The connecting rod is a jumper that acts as a "bridge" between the platform of the pedal and the set of front stars.
- Platforms - planes that contact the feet of a cyclist during the movement. They are connected to the connecting rods.
- Bearings are a functional unit that provides rotation of the mechanism of the pedals.
- Fittings - is represented by bolts and nuts, which fix all the components of the pedal system. Dismantled during disassembly.
To understand how to remove a pedal from a bicycle, for starters, it is worthwhile to consider individual design options for this element.
Depending on the nature of the platform,standard and contact pedals (contain fasteners for strong adhesion to specialized footwear). There is also a combined version where one side of the platform has a normal surface and the other has a contact device.
How do I remove a pedal from a bicycle? This will require the following set of tools:
- adjustable and open ended wrench;
- a key for pedals (it is supplied by separate manufacturers if it is necessary to work with non-standard nuts);
- puller - a standard tool that serves to fix the axis when removing fasteners.
Stages of work
After preparing the necessary tools, you can directly understand how to remove the pedals from a mountain bike. For standard mechanisms, the process looks like this:
- Using a screwdriver, the plug is carefully removed from the end of the platform. Thus, the locknut is exposed, which is responsible for fixing the axis of the structure.
- The pedal and the pedal wrench are untwisted from the connecting rod.
- While holding the crank axis in a fixed position, the lock nut is loosened.
- The cone is unscrewed.
- Platform pedals are removed from the axis.
Trying to figure out how to remove the pedal from the bike, you need to understand that the right and left axles have a corresponding thread. Therefore, they are unscrewed from the connecting rod in opposite directions.
As for disassembling the contact type pedals,then it is more difficult to cope with such a task. In this case, a special puller is required, with which the axle connecting the platform to the connecting rod is held.
When installing the pedals in place is extremely importantneatly twist the axle. Damage to the thread can cause a whole lot of unforeseen problems in the subsequent maintenance of the system, up to the need for a complete replacement of the constituent elements.
As you can see, removing the pedals from the bike is enoughjust. It should only be taken in advance to prepare the necessary tools. To produce similar work was as rare as possible, it is worthwhile to perform regular maintenance and repair of the system.